Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Show and Tell


Just popping in to say we’re just getting back into the swing of things after a week of celebrating all things Senior Year and Graduation. In the meantime I know many of my friends were celebrating the Queen’s Jubilee. 



So before the week gets away I have a little Jubilee related show and tell…



This photo pictures my maternal grandmother’s family I’m thinking around the time they sailed for the states from Liverpool on the Lusitania. The ship arrived in New York on April 24, 1915. My grandmother was seven. On it’s way back the ship was sunk, which in part led to American involvement in WWI. I’m not sure how aware they would have been of the threat of a submarine attack, or how they dealt with the news of the sinking of the ship and  the lives lost. I do know I have always admired my grandmother’s confident expression and know she grew to be a strong and resilient woman.



Among the family’s possessions was this plate commemorating Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee. It hangs in my kitchen a little reminder of my families past.




There has been some knitting going on. I’ve been puzzling through a slipper pattern and feeling a little like Goldilocks – a little too cold – a little too hot – just right… I’ll share photos and notes hopefully Friday.

No comments: