Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Looking and Really Seeing


Walking out back this time of year is a kind of treasure hunt and with the weather being as strange as it has been I’m on a careful watch for some of the wildflowers that can come and go so quickly that we wouldn’t even know they had visited.



Many of the things that pop up I haven’t really identified.



Some I’m pretty sure of like this Jack In A Pulpit.



This year I am particularly excited about four apple tree volunteers that are large enough to be in flower. 



They seem to have popped up in places we have left apples from the orchard for the deer.  



One has appeared next to the barn. I’m going to be watching to see if any of them get fruit this year.

One thing I’ve been hoping to find is Morels.



I know people find them in this area. I know they like old orchards and ash trees – things we have. I’ve heard people say your eyes just have to get used to looking for them...
so far no luck, but I'm going to keep looking.

The photo above is from The Great Morel, a fun site with all the information you’d ever want to know about Morels. Looks like there’s even a Morel Festival in May just a little North of us. I may try to talk Larry into heading up for a day.



No comments: