Saturday, April 28, 2012

Improving Your Skillset 3KCBWDAY6







"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it." Pablo Picasso

That about sums up the way I approach learning something new - I love challenges and love learning new things.

As someone who learned to knit back in the "olden days",I can say that the Internet and Ravelry have made learning new skills so much easier and fun. Being able to type a topic into YouTube is amazing. The availability of quality free tutorials is astounding. Run into a question about a pattern or materials – post a question on a discussion board and make a friend miles away on a different continent. It never ceases to amaze me.

I have to admit that some of my most intense learning has happened while teaching.



I stepped into teaching Fair Isle knitting a little reluctantly, but am so glad for the encouragement to take it on because through sharing what I knew I pressed myself to learn even more and in the end learned right along with the folks in my classes.







Tams were a popular project... but I had a few students who braved steeks!

I find myself spending more time on spinning right now and what I’m challenging myself to next is to work through Deb Menz’s book Color in Spinning.



I’ve wanted to work through the self-study exercises for a while now and this seems like a good time to make the commitment. I’m a little hesitant to give myself a deadline though…there are quite a few exercises. Ok... I' hereby commit to working through Deb Menz's book by January 2013. Hold me to it!






No comments: