Monday, March 12, 2012

Getting Help

On Saturday I spent a couple of wonderful hours with some lovely ladies- Cherie and Debbie- down at Heritage Spinning and Weaving. They were extremely knowledgeable and generous with suggestions and their time.



What sent me down was concern about some noise that seemed to be coming from my bobbins- especially when just starting out – sounds like a felt washer and some Vaseline on the rod that holds the flyer will do the trick.

I also picked up many ideas to help keep the green yarn consistent.Common sense stuff- I need to remember..



  • Need to keep an unwashed single to refer to as I go
  • Stop and let the yarn twist on itself to check how it looks 
  • in order to get a true idea of the fabric - wash it

My favorite discovery...



DMC floss cards for samples and notes- handy 1 inch opening for checking wraps per inch.


While there I also made samples of yarn with all the drive band settings on my standard whorl. What a great exercise. I have such a better appreciation of my wheel’s possibilities, and had no idea I was going to be able to spin so fine.

Biggest lesson learned-
You can read and read and research and watch videos, but sometimes some good old-fashioned, face-to-face help goes a long way.
Note-Cherie and Debbie are offering a Spinning Shetland Workshop on March 24 that sounds fabulous...



It certainly was a beautiful weekend all around. I even won a free cup of coffee at Tim Hortons! Hope you had a good weekend too!

No comments: