Friday, October 15, 2010

Drawing Friday

My family lived in Washington D.C. when I was growing up and my parents took us out every Sunday afternoon to a gallery or museum. (The idea of herding seven kids between 11 and 1 through museums makes me shudder and only confirms to me my Mother’s eligibility for Sainthood) Anyway… I loved those trips, especially to the National Gallery. Right before we left the gallery my Dad would let us choose a postcard of our favorite painting. I remember choosing this and falling in love with Matisse. This memory came back to me late last summer. I’ve been thinking a lot about how much I love art and drawing and that I have shied away from it for all kinds of silly reasons mostly having to do with not feeling good enough. Last week Craftivore invited folks to join her in a Flicker group called Drawing Friday a place to share and encourage “crafty types” to get on with some drawing. So I decided to join in, take a risk, and share something of myself I haven’t before. Today I’m posting a journal page. I had been sitting at the kitchen table wondering what to draw and saw this scraggly geranium on the porch rail outside the window. It had sat there all summer – for some reason I had never gotten around to planting it. It reminded me of my Matisse postcard, all those years ago, and that it’s not too late to nurture that tiny creative seed in me.  



3 comments:

Kym said...

Oh! Not too late at all! Thanks for sharing. I love it.

mary jane said...

I'm terrified to post my drawings which are just doodles really...so strange, I can be such a show off in other ways. So that's why I'm doing it. I'm daring myself to! Thanks for the great story, I will imagine your family forever wandering the galleries.

Anonymous said...

I know it's been several weeks since you posted this, but I came across your blog via Ravelry and I just had to say what a wonderful family tradition! We don't have much in the way of museums where we live, but your post makes me want to start some kind of tradition like it with our children.