Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Infected

   So last week I was at a meeting and got infected. Yep infected. A friend had brought a beautiful sock she was working on. I used to knit socks… a lot of socks. I taught myself to knit socks using Nancy Bush’s Folk Sock book way back when David was two and knit socks obsessively and collected sock yarn even more obsessively. Then without me really noticing I was working on other things and the love affair cooled. Funny how these things go though…
   I know I’m not the only one…something’s in the air right now. I signed up to attend Socktoberfest at my LYS Beyond the Rainforest, I clicked and joined both the Through The Loops Mystery Sock Knit a Long and Lollie’s Socktoberfest group  on Ravelry and even bought the new emag Sockupied from Interweave. (note- much hub-bub on line mostly about the price and the fact there are only three patterns and that it’s not a subscription but a stand only publication – I must be easy – I am really enjoying it )

   So I cast on some Fair Isle socks from Charlene Schurch’s book Sensational Knitted Socks using Brown Sheep’s Wildfoote, a yarn I used to use way back when. It is a little splitty, but the price is right, and knit at a tight gauge it holds up well, and comes in scads of colors. The pattern calls for a short row heel and star toe- both new to me – we’ll see how it goes…




1 comment:

Kym said...

Sounds like you really did catch the bug!!! :-) I used to knit a lot of socks. A lot. But haven't been in the mood lately. I think I'll watch you from the sidelines. . . and maybe it'll be contagious.