Monday, June 7, 2010

little efforts

This is my turning 50 bike. Can you love a bike?……. I do! What do I love the most about it?…
the color- it’s aqua… and the basket…how crazy is that?
Riding to work, I’ve started walking the first mile. It’s rough gravel and tough going. I’ve nicknamed this leg of the journey “Roadkill Alley”- not only because of the wide array of road kill I end up having to step over but also because I started walking it rather than biking it because I fear myself becoming road kill with the alarming speed trucks, buses and SUVs race by. The happy outcome…walking gives me the chance to appreciate the 400-acre farm that sits behind our woods.



They just plowed – I think they plant soy beans- I’ve never run into the owner to ask though. Once I get to the Bike Path it’s a breeze... 6 miles of smallish hills balanced with glorious coasting. I can get to work in about 25 minutes- doing my heart and the environment just a little good.

Also wanted to share a photo of the peonies that bloom out back. They are glorious and for some reason remind me of ballet dancers and paintings by Degas. My photos just don’t do them justice. I call them Leta’s Legacy- Leta and her husband Arthur were the previous owners of this place. We still get mail addressed to Leta – she died about fifteen years ago.


I started a set on my Flicker page where I will add something new blooming on our little place each Monday. This way I’ll have a photo record of the sequence of things as they appear.

2 comments:

Kym said...

What a great bike! I love the style, the color, the basket! And it sounds like you have a perfect route to work. What a wonderful way to take care of yourself and enjoy the world around you. The peony is gorgeous -- and I love your idea of "Blooms on Monday!" Can't wait to see what blooms next. . .

affectioknit said...

Lovely bike - lovely ride - lovely flowers...