Thursday, April 5, 2012

New Babies

We have new babies at our house. I’ve always wanted to raise a few chickens, just a small backyard flock. The eggs- the compost- the challenge of something we’ve never done before – I get all excited.



Last week Larry came home with a chick care brochure from Tractor Supply. I took it as a sure sign he was open to the idea. A new shipment of chicks arrived yesterday and I traveled down to pick out six. Two each of three different varieties- hopefully all girls..

Barred Plymouth Rock






Buff Orpington



Rhode Island Red


They’ll be living in the basement for six weeks or so which will give us some time to get a henhouse and run organized. We have a shed off our garage that was used by the previous owner to store and sell apples from. It needs some cleaning out and will need some boards added here and there but I think it’s going to work. I love a new adventure.



No comments: