Thursday, March 1, 2012

New/Old Project for March

One of my favorite colors- verdigris- the bluish green patina that occurs when copper is exposed to air or water over time.


I have a special project planned for March. I’m actually revisiting a project I started three years ago when I got so busy with school and work I had to put it aside.



I have three pounds of a Coopworth /Mohair roving purchased at the Michigan Fiber Festival from one of my favorite venders Carol of Hidden Valley Farm.


 Lambs from Hidden Valley

The color of the roving is "Tide Pool", and I noticed on the farm’s site that it is still available. I remember that it reminded me of a natural spring we visited while vacationing in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The spring is called “Kitch-Iti-Kipi", which means "mirror of heaven". It is such a beautiful and magical spot. When you look down into the spring from the observation boat this is the color you see.



My plan is to spin it up to make the IngĂ©nue sweater from Wendy Bernard’s  “Custom Knits”.  The design is simple and classic- the designer’s inspiration -Audrey Hepburn.



What I know so far…
I consulted a chart in “Spin To Knit” by Shannon Okey. Spinning a sport weight yarn, 14 Wraps per Inch, knit at 5-6.5 stitches per inch on size 4-6 needles -I should end up with 12-1800 yards per pound. My sweater calls for 1045 yards. My gauge swatch knitted up to 6 stitches per inch on a size 5 needle. It seems to be somewhere between a DK and sport weight which I think will work well.  I don’t want it to be too heavy. While the chart and estimates of yardage are all just rough suggestions- sounds like with three pounds in the stash I will have more than enough. Any body want some roving? I might be able to share/ spare some....

It does feel good to get back to some spinning. I’m a little rusty but really enjoying the meditation that spinning is.



No comments: