Thursday, December 30, 2010

Comfort and Joy

Hope your Christmas was filled with peace and comfort and joy.

Nothing says comfort and joy more to me than this cake.


My Mom received this recipe from a neighbor many- many years ago and I would guess our family has made thousands of these cakes since. The neighbor was Jewish and the cake was called “Jewish Apple Cake”. My family is Catholic and it has always been our Christmas cake. So here you go a true cross cultural /ecumenical sharing of comfort and joy…cake is good at that.

2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
4 large eggs
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup orange juice
About three sliced apples

Mix all at low speed for ten minutes (see note below)
Pour half the batter into a greased and floured tube pan
Top with sliced apples and cinnamon sugar
Repeat
Bake at 350 for one hour

*We used to joke that the recipe should read… beat till the mixer smokes or burns out-can’t tell you how many hand held mixers I have burned out… Now that many of us have stand mixers we don’t mix it quite as long or need to worry ourselves about mixer burn out.



Over the past couple of weeks I’ve been playing with these mitts. They were inspired by Juju's fabulous mittens you can see here http://jujulovespolkadots.typepad.com/ I used her cuff recipe, and the tiny pattern from some Starmore mittens I’ve been working on, and then played with some embroidery – something I haven’t tried before but am really enjoying. I was so pleased with the way they turned out that I started a second pair. The first pair was gifted to Susan the owner of my favorite LYS, Beyond the Rainforest, in thanks for all her encouragement over this past year.












A joyful and blessed new year to you!
Lynn




4 comments:

Carolina said...

That's a very interesting recipe for the cake. Since it's beaten for so long is it more like a bread? Usually cakes are only stirred till mixed and beating would make the gluten develop like bread. Now I want to try it! My recipe for our holiday panettone is at http://rududu-carolina.blogspot.com/
Happy New Year!

Carolina said...

p.s. How much sugar and cinnamon do you use, approximately?

Kym said...

What beautiful mittens! I love them! They are just perfect in every way (and I am SUCH a sucker for embroidered embellishments; gets me every time!).

Happy new year -- and happy new knitting to you!

Lynn said...

Carolina- the cake is pretty dense- I'm thinking the appples help keep it moist. I never measure the cinnamon sugar- I just mix up a little bowl and sometimes there's extra and sometimes I have to mix more - I would not make a good scientist : ) I should give you this hint though - I always want to put more on than the cake can take- if you add too much in the middle you run the risk of the cake sticking- too much on top and it just falls off when you take the cake out. Hope you enjoy it.